Thursday, March 04, 2010

GO to the Boulder Bach Festival!

The Boulder Bach Festival features legendary oboist Joseph Robinson tomorrow and Saturday. I am not sure how it happened that I didn't have any personal interaction with Mr. Robinson until last November, but I am sure glad I finally did! He is a pleasant person to talk to, and shares a lot of insight and attitude that I admire very much. He has lived an interesting life, and does not hesitate to laugh at the absurd moments (which every oboist faces at some point!) and relish the poignant ones for the enjoyment of all. He demonstrated this handily at his class at CU Boulder on Tuesday, along with some very illustrative and moving interpretations of standard repertoire and excerpts. It is easy to hear the greatness that made him a fixture of the New York Philharmonic for many years. I hope to have the opportunity to hear him teach students in a masterclass setting sometime in the near future! Peter Cooper suggested this interview which I now recommend to you. I am so disappointed that I can't attend the Boulder Bach Festival concerts this weekend, but hope that you will enjoy them doubly on my behalf!

No comments: